A little confused about UCC app member server installation

Hi I have a testlab of UCS core master, backup and member servers that I’m trying out a UCC setup on.

I read in the documentation for UCC that you can install the ‘ucc-server’ on any role. But I’m confused about how the ucc-server relates to the UMC integration modules (Images/Setup) mentioned in the documentation as being part of the 3 integration parts of the UCC system.

For example:
[ul][li]From App center installed UCC app to member server[/li]
[li]There was no UCC Images or UCC setup modules available on the master or backup after this, and I wasn’t sure how to continue the setup, as there is no web interface for the member server. [/li][/ul]
If you install the app to a member, must you manually configure all policies by hand via UCR or commandline?

Then tried:
[ul][li]Installing from the App Center onto the master[/li]
[li]UCC Imgaes/Setup modules are available on the master web interface. [/li][/ul]
But is what the docs describe as the ucc-server role now on the master as well? Is the ucc-server component separate to the ability to host images from another machine?

My goal was to have the easy setup and image modules on the master, but deploy images from a member file server and keep the DCs as lightweight as possible.

My other main query is regarding the UCC-thin client image. When in the ‘live boot’ mode, it will always default to a LXDM session? It seemed to ignore the RDP session policy until I used an “install and partition” to storage boot profile. Reason I ask is I was hoping to test out the RDP session on a couple of existing ubuntu LTSP clients without necessarily having to wipe them away.

Thanks all.

MarkR.

[quote=“pp303”]Hi I have a testlab of UCS core master, backup and member servers that I’m trying out a UCC setup on.

I read in the documentation for UCC that you can install the ‘ucc-server’ on any role. But I’m confused about how the ucc-server relates to the UMC integration modules (Images/Setup) mentioned in the documentation as being part of the 3 integration parts of the UCC system.

For example:
[ul][li]From App center installed UCC app to member server[/li]
[li]There was no UCC Images or UCC setup modules available on the master or backup after this, and I wasn’t sure how to continue the setup, as there is no web interface for the member server. [/li][/ul]
If you install the app to a member, must you manually configure all policies by hand via UCR or commandline?
[/quote]

That looks like an issue with your member server. There should definitely be the web interface available at /umc. There you would find the setup and images modules. Installing and using UCC on a memberserver would be my recommended option as well.

Yes, now your master would serve as an image host. I think this is not what you want for your scenario.

We should identify and fix the issue why there seems to be no Univention Management Console webinterface on your memberserver

Yes, this is the intended behavior. The Live-boot without any changes to the UCC thinclient image is intended to get a quick impression if the client hardware is supported. You could modify the thinclient image on the UCS server before starting the client. However, I am not sure this is what you want to do if you want a real test. A UCC client can only read and apply policies if it is joined into the UCS domain, which requires a real rollout, and not the live-boot.

Hi damrose, thanks for the reply. I’ll have to look into my test machine as I do have issues connecting. But looking at a production member server I see there is a web interface. I think I was getting confused by there only being links to the domain controllers in the dropdown at the top right of the UMC - but going direct works. I haven’t had to use an interface on the members until now as shares etc have been assigned from the master.

Thanks for the help.

MarkR.

Good to hear the problem is solved. Feels free to get back to us here or in a new thread if you have further questions.

Dear Damrose i need your kind help i need to set up a thin client envoirment for a school lab how i can do or access from thin client a installed machine.

@my.links This is a different issue than the one discused in this thread. Please create a new post. In there, please describe your current setup, what you try to achieve, and what does not work.

Mastodon