Is Hyper-V 2012 supported?

Hi there,

My name is JP, I am from Anchorage Alaska and this is my first post. I am a long-time SME user and only found UCS in the last year, and the Samba4+AD is what really got me to look into it and now I am hooked.

I am a LOOOONNNNNG time virtualization user, I have used every major hypervisor, and recently moved to Hyper-V when it was released as a bare-metal for free and included replication (and got the replication without a windows DC down to a science). However, I have only hobbiest level experience with KVM, whereas I have had ESXi and XenServer in production for over a decade. What I would like to know specifically is whether there is any reason I should NOT put UCS on Hyper-V 2012. I have a client with 40 workstations running SBS2003 I will be moving to UCS (one DC and one fileserver on a host each, cross replicating) in the coming weeks, and my plan was to run it on Hyper-V 2012, so I am really hoping there isn’t a ‘omg, you can’t because of xyz and abc will now work’ or something like that.

Please let me know your thoughts. And if anyone on the board is in Anchorage I would love to meet up.

Thanks!

*edit: When I ask if Hyper-V is supported, I don’t expect it to be on some certified list or something like that. I kind of consider the hypervisor to be kind of invisible, just generic hardware since in 17yrs of IT work I have never seen an issue that turned out to be an actual incompatibility simply because a system was virtualized. Just looking for concrete reasons to avoid it. Also if KVM is the bomb then I would be interested in knowing why.

Hello!

Hyper-V is supported as hypervisor and I know a couple of customers who actually use it and are happy with it (Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2).
But there are two things I want to point out:

1. Use a Hyper-V Gen1 VM. There’s currently a known problem with UCS and Hyper-V Generation 2 VMs. This will probably be solved in the future with a newer GRUB version, but for now you better stick to Generation 1 VMs.
  2. The bootsplash might be distorted - that’s just a visual flaw and has no impact on functionality. If you want to, you can simply turn off the bootsplash (ucr set grub/bootsplash=nosplash)

Best Regards,
Michael Grandjean

That is a HUGE load off. This client is also moving offices this weekend, which means I am tearing all IT assets out today and then setting it up again at the new location. The new location is also about 3x larger with 3x as many network drops and by far the largest wifi mesh network I have had to build on a single location. So my stress level is way high, and your reply reduced it to a more manageable level. Thanks a TON!

So far, I am really impressed with this community, I hope something in my realm of specialty comes along so I can contribute.

JP

Mastodon