Spark with PLUCS Instant Messager

Dear friends,

I’m trying to set up the Spark client with PLUCS Instant Messager but is occurring authentication problem. Could someone give me a hand in Spark configuration with Plucs?

Thank you,
Mic

Hey,

I haven’t used Spark with PLUCS yet, but we are using PLUCS with various other clients successfully. There are a couple of things you need to keep in mind when using PLUCS:

[ol][li]First you have to enable the use of PLUCS for each user. This means logging in to the Univention Management Console, editing the user, selecting the “Advanced settings” tab, checking the “XMPP enabled” check box and entering a domain name. For example, we use “linet-services.de” as our domain. Note that this domain is important and must be used during the account setup on your client.[/li]
[li]Next, in the client, your XMPP user name consists of your UCS user name followed by the domain you’ve entered in step 1. This may but doesn’t have to be the same domain you’ve used in your email setup. I’ve said in step 1 that we’re using “linet-services.de” as our XMPP domain. My own user name is “mbunkus”; therefore the XMPP login name I’m using is "mbunkus@linet-services.de".[/li]
[li]Additionally you’ll want to manually specifiy the server name. Otherwise the client will likely try to dervive the server name from DNS settings for the XMPP domain, and that has to be set up manually. We’re using port 5222 (nor 5223!) with TLS encryption.[/li][/ol]

So what you should do is verify that the user you’re testing with has been configured correctly. Afterwards try a different client (e.g. we’re using Psi+, MirandaIM, Pidgin and others — they all work).

Kind regards,
mosu

Hey,

I’ve just tried this successfully with Spark. Here’s what you have to enter:

[ul][li]Username: your login name. For me it’s “mbunkus”.[/li]
[li]Password: well… duh! :)[/li]
[li]Server: the XMPP domain from the user configuration in the Univention Management Console. For me this is “linet-services.de” and NOT the name of the server running PLUCS![/li]
[li]Next click on “advanced”.[/li]
[li]In the dialog de-select “automatically discover host and port”. That’s what I mean by “dervive from DNS”.[/li]
[li]In “connection” enter the name of the server running PLUCS in the “host” port and leave the “port” set to 5222.[/li][/ul]

That’s it. Close the dialog and login.

Kind regards,
mosu

Mosu, thanks for the information.
With other clients, Pidgin for example, works correctly.
When I try to use Plucs with IM Spark, he presents authentication error.
Analyzing the errors tend to think I can be the Java version, since Spark depends JRE.
I installed an older version of the JRE, but still also having errors.
In this case I ask you, when is the JRE version are you using there on your device?

Thank you,

Mic

Hey,

I’ve tried Spark with the OpenJDK on Linux, therefore its version number won’t tell you much if you’re using Oracle’s Java on Windows :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
mosu

Mosu, the problem is on the certificate … will need to generate a new one, how do? see the log:
java.security.cert.CertificateException: hostname verification of certificate failed. Certificate does not authenticate vost.lan

Regards,

Mic

Mosu, just solving. The problem is a bug in version 2.8 for Windows. I downgrade to 2.7.7 and it worked.

Thank you very much,

Mic

Mastodon