Can't find bootable volume after first reboot

Greetings!

I installed Univention Corporate Server and it went as good as can be. Upon reboot it states: “Reboot and Select proper Boot Device[…]”

There is only one possible boot device in there, the hard drive UCS was installed on. The hard drive is used, and a seagate, so it could be bad. I am not a Linux person (yet) so I am not certain how to proceed. I can load the installation USB and tell it to “Boot from first hard drive”, but that leads to more errors. Such as—Okay now it won’t even generate the errors. It just beeps and comes back to the main menu.

Hey,

that doesn’t sound incouraging. You have two options at this stage: re-format the hard drive and re-install UCS or try to debug what the problem really is and try to fix it. We can help you with the second choice, but it may be quite time intensive do get to the root of the issue.

Generally I’d advise to use another hard drive and to re-install. Errors such as the one you’re describing aren’t common. I especially dislike the part where “boot from first hard drive” fails.

Kind regards,
mosu

Thanks for the reply!

I thought it was unusual so I did the easy thing and reinstalled it. The partition manager did not run into some random error this time. Oh, I forgot to mention, when it did the paritioning it ran into a generic error.

Well I rebooted it for the first time and I got the exact same error. This time the hard drive was not used or a Seagate. It was a brand new Toshiba. Damn!

If I load the installation media and go to “boot from first hard drive” it goes straight into Rescue Mode asking me for my language.

Are you installing from a USB drive or a DVD? Try a DVD if it’s a USB drive.

Installed from a USB. Can’t get a DVD today, I do not think. Well, I could go to Fry’s on the company’s dime…

I burned a disc, loaded it successfully, selected Load First Hard Drive,and it says… “Booting…”

Just “Booting…”. It’s been that way for 10 minutes now.

Greetings!

I originally posted my problem in the German language forum accidentally. I did not notice there were two sections.

I installed Univention Corporate Server and it went as good as can be. Upon reboot it states: “Reboot and Select proper Boot Device[…]”

There is only one possible boot device in there, the hard drive UCS was installed on. The hard drive is used, and a seagate, so it could be bad. I am not a Linux person (yet) so I am not certain how to proceed. I can load the installation USB and tell it to “Boot from first hard drive”, but that leads to more errors. Such as—Okay now it won’t even generate the errors. It just beeps and comes back to the main menu.

Another poster suggested using a different hard drive, since a defective HD could be the culprit. So I used a brand new one…same result.

If I load the installation media and select “boot from first hard drive” it goes straight into Rescue Mode asking me for my language.

So,I burned a disc of UCS, instead of a USB drive, loaded it successfully, selected Load First Hard Drive,and it says… “Booting…”

Just “Booting…”. It does not get past “Booting…”

I am performing another install on different hardware. Who knows, it could have been that Gateway desktop. Hopefully it works fine this time…

I installed UCS on a different machine with very different hardware. It worked but now when it boots it just says “Loading, please wait…” and then nothing. It sat like that for well over half an hour. Before it gets to the infinite loading screen it would show a OS selection menu, and load the first choice within ~5 seconds.

Hey,

all of this is extremely strange. Can you please do the following in order to find out more why it doesn’t continue after it starts booting:

[ol][li]Start the machine.[/li]
[li]As soon as the “grub” boot menu appears (see attached screenshot “grub-main-menu.png” for what that should look like; it’s the smaller one of the two screenshots) hit one of the arrow keys on your keyboard. It doesn’t matter which one; what matters is that grub will stop the automatic boot process when you press any key.[/li]
[li]Next make sure the first entry is still selected and press the “e” key (“e” for “edit entry”). A new screen should appear displaying the details of what grub will do with the entry. It should look similar to the attached “grub-edit-entry.png” (the larger of the two attached pictures).[/li]
[li]Now navigate to the line starting with “linux …”. Please remove the strings “quiet”, “loglevel=0” and “splash” from this line. The result should look similar to the aforementioned “grub-edit-entry.png” where I’ve already removed those strings from the line.[/li]
[li]Next boot this entry by pressing the F10 key. A list of text entries should be displayed, and the boot process should hang somewhere again.[/li]
[li]Finally take a screenshot (e.g. with your phone) of the screen when it won’t change anymore and post that screenshot here.[/li][/ol]

Thanks.

Kind regards,
mosu

So I got into work today, started my UCS, and it worked…perfectly. I have restarted/cold rebooted it almost 15 times now and it works.

I don’t know!!

Anyway, now onto setting up actual Domain with Domain Users. Fun.

Thanks a lot for your help Moritz! It is very appreciated.

Well, I’m glad it finally works for you :slight_smile: And you’re welcome.

Mastodon