Translation

Hello,

Is it possible to somehow contribute to translating the UCS et all, in languages other than German and English?
I would be interested in doing translations for the Dutch language.

Jos.

Hello Jos,

thank you very much for your interest in helping to make Univention Corporate Server available in Dutch as additional language other than German and English. Enabling volunteer translations for UCS is part of an internal discussion for quite some time. We are thinking about an efficient way how to provide the numerous language files for translation. This process is not finished yet. As soon as everything is setup you will hear about it through our usual channels, e.g. forum, newsletter or our social media channels on Twitter or Google+.

Best regards,
Nico Gulden

As most of the Deb packages are in Dutch already, the focus would be on the Univention specific packages, i did some translations on .po files with poedit some time ago. Although the routine of the way that worked has slipped me.
I don’t want to push things but i need the Dutch translations for the project we have in mind.
Hope it won’t take much longer before the project you are talking about gets started, since I talked about translations with Alexander by email back in March this year :wink:

Regards,

Jos.

Hello Jos,

thank you very much for your posting.

Of course, translation would only comprise of the .po files for the components unique to Univention Corporate Server, mainly the UCS management system.

I suggest you directly contact our sales team. It may accelerate our internal discussion.

Best regards,
Nico Gulden

Hello Nico,

Thanks for the reply, although i could contact sales i won’t do that. I sure hope that sales is not the only incentive to get this thing rolling. If the powers in charge don’t see the necessity to provide other than the available languages then there is no ground for me to try to accelerate your internal discussion.
The offer is still up to get Univention UCS translated in my native language since i think there is a need for your product in my country, but users in the Netherlands need to have the management system in their language.
I hope for some wisdom on your side, the decision is off course up to you. I would love to be able to provide UCS as an alternative to other options, but at some point in time, things need to get on.

Regards,

Jos.

Hello Jos,

thanks for your offer, helping with the dutch translation. We are also interested in having the UCS management system available in additional languages. Maybe we just approach the task step by step. You can take the source code for the packages from our SVN repository: forge.univention.org/websvn/lis … -3.0%2Fucs

You can checkout with the following command:

svn checkout http://forge.univention.org/svn/dev/branches/ucs-3.0/ucs/

Each package provides its translation files. Choose the package(s) you are interested in, take the de.po files, rename them to nl.po and do the translation. Afterwards the .po file has to be converted into a .mo file:

msgfmt -o nl.mo nl.po

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Nico Gulden

Nice!!
I will tackle the .po files from within the management dir. I used svn copy to get a nl.po file and edited some text.
Have to figure out what to do with the translated files, questions go in this topic of per pm?

Regards,

Jos.

Hello Jos,

if you have questions concerning the translation, I suggest you just ask them in this thread. This will keep information at one place and helps other people having the same questions. Alternatively, you may open a new topic in the UCS section.

Best regards,
Nico Gulden

Update:
Just to let you know, i am halfway through translating all the de.po files i could find.
In case you wondered about the silence :slight_smile:

Jos.

Hello Jos,

thank you very much for the short status. That’s great to hear.

Best regards,
Nico Gulden

Maybe a bit late but just to know i am doing this the rigth way, for a nl.po i delete the German msgstr translation and replace it with the nl translated text.
Like in this example:

#: umc/widgets/Grid.js:684 #, python-format msgid "%d entries of %d selected" msgstr "%d Einträge von %d ausgewählt"

Hello Jos,

yes, that is right. The “msgid” has to be left as is. The “msgstr” needs to be changed to match your language.

I guess, you are working with UCS 3.0 for the translation. Yesterday, we released UCS 3.1. If you are almost finished with the translation, I suggest you continue. Afterwards, the existing translation files in the branches can be compared for changes and just need to be updated for UCS 3.1. The code can be found here: svn checkout http://forge.univention.org/svn/dev/branches/ucs-3.1/ucs/
Best regards,
Nico Gulden

Hello Jos,

I’m interested in Dutch translation too.

How can I help?

Regards, Arthur

Hello Arthur,

Thanks for the offer!, I am in the midds of the translations, now working on the installer.po file and going on as long as time (or my eyes) permit.
Thus the process is slowly because of other things that need to be done but i am getting there. I do the translations on my local machine, i don’t know nothing about how to proceed in getting this to be a joined venture. I started the translations but i am not in control in how things have to be arranged.
Also i am working on the 3.0 version but there is a 3.1 version since last December, so things have to be compared when i am done with the current translations. Then again, if the whole lot is translated I would really like you or other Dutch users to revise the translations in case there are strange twists in the translated text. I spoke shortly with Nico on the irc chat and i am sure that he will jump in here when he has the time (there is a summit going on right now). Perhaps he might have some ideas about this and how to proceed.
Please stay tuned!

Regards,

Jos.

Hello Jos,

our Univention Summit is over and it was a great event. @Arthur: Thanks for offering your help.

I’d like to follow-up on our discussion last week. Let me summarize, what you have so far AFAIK:[ul]
[li] Your current work is based on UCS 3.0[/li]
[li] Some translation files are done[/li][/ul]
For your next steps, I suggest you take the files from UCS 3.1 for every new translation file you are working on. As soon as you are done, you can compare and merge the translations already done for UCS 3.0 to the appropriate files in UCS 3.1. The focus should be to get a complete set of translation files for UCS 3.1.

The sources for UCS 3.1 can be found here with the following command:

svn checkout http://forge.univention.org/svn/dev/branches/ucs-3.1/ucs/

Best regards,
Nico Gulden

Still working on the translation, can let you know that more than halve the 3.0 branch is done.
Have switched to 3.1 as you mentioned, now using eSvn and editing is a bit easier instead of using nano.
I have a bit more time now to focus on the task, and the end is getting near… :slight_smile:

Hello Jos,

thanks for the short status update. Great to hear about the progress.

Best regards,
Nico Gulden

Hello Nico,

For the first time i encounter a problem when executing msgfmt -o nl.mo nl.po
The error has something to do with double definitions from a message.
How to proceed?

Regards,

Jos.

Hello Jos,

please provide some more information that hopefully help:[ul]
[li] What is the exact error message and what UCS version are you using?[/li]
[li] What are the steps to reproduce the problem?[/li]
[li] Which package is involved?[/li][/ul]
As you are speaking of a double definition, is there the same msgid somewhere else in the po file?

Best regards,
Nico Gulden

Hello Nico,

I am working on the ucs-3.1 version, and the error occurs in the copy of the de.po at
univention-management-console-module-ucr/umc/js/de.po

msgfmt -o nl.mo nl.po
nl.po:154: dubbele definitie van een bericht…
nl.po:151: …dit is de plek van de eerste definitie
msgfmt: 1 fatale fout gevonden
And yes, both 151 and 154 contain de same defs:

#: umc/js/ucr.js:214
msgid “Value of the UCR variable”
msgstr “Wert der UCR-Variable”

#: umc/js/ucr.js:107
msgid “Value of the UCR variable”
msgstr “Wert der UCR-Variable”

I see the solution i think, put the 214 and 107 id in the same rule?

Regards,

Jos.

EDIT: Yes, i managed to get the .mo file by putting the two id’s in one rule.

Mastodon